Press enter or return to search.


Ice Hockey Falls Twice in Second Week of Play

(Joseph S. takes the face off (Lauren G./Staff)

Traveling to the Fairgrounds on Saturday, December 2, the Vikes battled Watterson at 8:40 p.m.  Looking to bag its first win of the season, the Maroon and Grey opened play with a goal from Dominic C. early in the first period. The Eagles answered quickly by scoring three before the first period was over, bumping the score to 3-1. 

Beginning the second period, the Eagles added two more goals to their total. Looking to close the gap, Joseph S. took a wrist shot from the top of the circle. With a rebound still loose, the Vikes, frantic, battled in front of the net to get a goal. The fight ended with Eric S. sending the puck into the back of the net. Watterson bagged two more goals to end the second period. 

At 7-2, the Vikings began the third period with many opportunities but failed to capitalize, losing 10-2. 

The Vikes second game took them to Chiller Easton on Sunday, December 3 at 5 p.m. to play Springboro. The Panthers delivered the first goal with a little over three minutes into play. This early goal did not stop Academy, scoring a goal halfway through the first period. With 3:46 left in the first, the Vikes received a holding penalty and had to go on the penalty kill. With the Panthers having a man-up advantage, they scored their second goal of the night, breaking the tie and moving the score to 2-1. Goalie Ben K. kept the puck out of the net with three saves to end the period. 

To start the second period, Springboro scored its third goal right off the opening face off. With the score now at 3-1, the Vikes needed to close the gap. Following a breakout of the defensive zone, Joseph S. rushed down the ice and earned the Maroon and Grey’s second goal of the night. Springboro was successful in earning one more goal before time ran out in the second period. 

Throughout the first half of the third period, both teams foundered to find the back of the net. With four minutes to go, the Panthers capitalized and increased the score to 5-2. They received a penalty with less than a minute to go, and the Vikings pulled their goalie to increase their man-up advantage to 6 on 4. With an empty net in the back, Springboro bagged an empty net goal and ended the game 6-2. 

The Vikes return to action on Friday, December 8 at 7 p.m. at Chiller North and play again on Sunday, December 10 at 5:30 p.m. at Sports Plus in Cincinnati. 


Comments are closed.