Press enter or return to search.


Vikings Merge with Stallions for New Season

(Dominic C. (Courtesy/Ralph Schudel)

Although the team’s schedule may look similar to last year, its roster has faced some big changes. Due to this year’s low numbers for both Academy and Desales, the schools decided to merge their teams to save both programs. Academy, therefore, will wear it white uniforms for home games and Desales their black uniforms for away games. 

Beginning the season at Chiller North on Friday, November 17 at 7:30 p.m., the Vikes faced off against Olentangy Orange. The Pioneers opened by scoring 2 goals early into the first period. The Vikes tried to minimize the gap during a power play but were unsuccessful. Orange added one more to its total before the first period’s end. 

Opening the second period with a power play due to a Pioneers’ penalty seconds before the end of the first, the Vikings battled with a man-up advantage. The Pioneers tallied one more but failed to add a 5th because of a great save from goalie Ben K. Orange captured another goal and two more penalties. Looking to earn their first goal of the night, Dominic C. capitalized on a breakaway late in the second period before the Maroon and Grey landed a player in the penalty box, resulting in a goal from the Pioneers. 

At 7-1, the Vikings enter the third and final period of the night, managing to hold off Orange’s offense and add a goal of their own. Halfway through the third period, Will B. and Dominic C. rushed up the ice together. Dominic C. layed a perfect pass to Will B., as he took the shot and scored. The Pioneers managed to bag one more, leaving the final score at 8-2. 

The Vikings traveled to Chiller Ice Works to play their second game of the season against Worthington Kilbourne for a 4 p.m. Sunday night showdown. The Wolves attacked right out of the gate, scoring two goals in the first two minutes. This did not rattle the Vikes, for they returned the favor and leveled the score to 2-1 heading into the third period. Not willing to back down, the Wolves gained anotyher goal and the Vikes answered with two. Even at 3-3, Kilbourne scored three more to end the game 6-3. 

The Vikes return on December 2 against Bishop Watterson.


Comments are closed.